L-Glutamine is an amino acid found in the muscles of the body. L-Glutamine is apart of my daily supplementation because I believe it improves the health and functioning of my daily physical and mental performance.
Here are 5 key facts you need to know.
- It is know as brain fuel.
- It can readily pass through the blood-brain barrier
- Once in the brain it gets converted to glutamic acid, which is essential for cerebral function
- It also helps increase the amount of GABA, which is needed to sustain proper brain function and mental activity
- It can be used to enhance mental functioning and has been used to treat a range of problems including depression and fatigue
- It is found in the muscles to help build and maintain muscle mass.
- This makes L-glutamine a vital supplement for dieters, athletes, and bodybuilders
- It also serves as a vital source to prevent muscle wasting that might occur when enduring prolonged bed rest due to illness or injury
- It promotes the maintenance of a healthy digestive tract
- Raw spinach and parsley are good sources of Glutamine
- It is the most abundant free amino acid found in the muscles of the body
Source: Balch, Phyllis A. Prescription for Nutritional Healing: a Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements. Penguin, 2011.